WHAT IS WORLD KINDNESS DAY?
Today, Friday the 13th is national World Kindness Day for 2020. Seems pretty ironic considering the stigma behind Friday the 13th and everything that has happened so far in 2020… Whether you are superstitious or not – do not let this stop you from being the living embodiment of kindness that we need in this world. So, for my 9th week at TESS, I am going to be giving you some tips on what you can do to be kind to your peers, community, the planet and yourself today!
So a bit of history for you – World Kindness Day is an international holiday that was formed in 1998, to promote kindness throughout the world and is observed annually on November 13 as part of the World Kindness Movement which is upheld by many countries around the world. There is something quite alleviating about this unity around the world given the divide that the pandemic has given us. It is a day devoted to the positive potential of both large and small acts of kindness, try to promote and diffuse this crucial quality that brings people of every kind together.
16 WAYS TO BE KIND TODAY (AND EVERYDAY):
Being kind to yourself:
- Cut yourself some slack – Given the current circumstances, you need to cut yourself some slack with regards to work and trying to please others constantly. You need to put yourself first. Be selfish and take some time out of your day for some ‘me time’. Put down your phone shut your laptop and do something that you enjoy.
- Go for a walk – A great way to get a refreshing break form the harshness of reality in the world at the moment. Stick some earphones in and listen to your favourite music – simply unwind and destress by taking in the natural beauty of your surroundings.
- Treat yourself – whether its as simple as a chocolate bar or that one item that has been sat in your online shopping basket for weeks – some retail therapy does not go a miss! And I can confirm it 100% works as a relief mechanism to reward yourself for all the hard work you have been putting in over the past few months.
- Take some time to invest in yourself – Take 15-20 mins a day to do something rewarding; it could be reading, a little bit of exercise, a phone call catch up with a loved one or cooking. Anything where you take time out of your day, doesn’t have to be long, where you
Being kind to your peers and community:
- Compliment someone – an easy one, so no excuses can be made for this. It is as rewarding to yourself dishing out compliments, as it is receiving them; and you never know if all that person needed today was that boost of confidence.
- Support a local business – This one is so important given the current situation of Lockdown in the UK. Even if your not in the UK, supporting a small local business is a great day to network and acknowledge that small businesses need the most help – plus I’m sure you will be able to get some great personalised and authentic presents in time for Christmas!
- Share your gratitude – Share with us on social media something that you are grateful for. Tell that person why you are grateful for them in your life. Tell that company why you loved their product.
- Bake for a friend or neighbour – not only is baking (or cooking – whichever one you prefer) a good self care method, it make brighten up someone else’s too. AND there is nothing better than some warm, freshly homemade cookies straight from the oven being delivered to your doorstep!
Showing kindness to your planet:
- Walk to the shop – Need to nip to the shop because you’ve ran out of milk? WALK! There is no need to drive if there is only a shop round the corner. Or if you fancy, take a bike ride – also a way to include exercise into your routine – BONUS!
- Shop organic – Why don’t you try today to go to your local farm shop to by organic fruit and veg as well as meat? Not only are you looking after your body by doing this, but you are looking after the earth by reducing plastic packaging on the products you buy!
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle! – By doing this you are protecting your planet and you can make some cool Christmas crafts with left over jars or cardboard boxes. This is a great way to also unwind in the evening and spend quality time with your family.
- Volunteer – Everyone needs to support each-other in times like these than ever before. It may be in your local neighbourhood by volunteering to litter-pick or at a local charity shop. Speaking from experience (as I volunteered in Cambodia for a month in 2018) I can tell you it is the most rewarding experience and by spreading a little bit of kindness, it can go a long way.
Some more (Covid proof) Tips:
- Wear a mask – As annoying as it may be, or as steamy as your glasses get, you are showing the world that you care by not putting yourself and others at risk through wearing a mask by reducing chances of getting ill or catching covid.
- Socially Distance – Whether it is in your daily shopping trip or a visit to a family members sat in the garden; by socially distancing you are showing that you care for others and yourself, again by working together to prevent the further spread of covid.
Now, pick one (or 5 or 6) and go ahead and do it! It could be as simple as smiling at a stranger – and you never know, this could be reciprocated in another act of kindness from someone else. Let’s make the world a nicer place, together!
We will also be promoting this on our social media accounts to spread awareness so check out out:
Facebook: The Tess Group
LinkedIn: The Tess Group